Friday, March 11, 2011

30 for 30: Final Days and Friday Night Date Night

The day has finally come!  I can put away my 30 for 30 clothes for a while because I get the rest of my closet back.   Here are the final three outfits of the challenge:


Day 28
When I shared the details of our Spanish date night, I was wearing this outfit:

Black and white print skirt, thrifted
White tank top, Sedeca
Pink cardigan, New York and Company
Black nylons, JCPenney's
Black Mary Janes, Payless Shoes
Tiered black necklace, Forever 21
Fossil watch, Macy's

Day 29
While swamped and overwhelmed with work, I was able to carve out a little time to update some of my 130 Before I'm Thirty goals.  Here's what I was wearing:

Black trousers, NY&C
White tank top, Old Navy
Red cardigan, NY&C
Red ballet flats, Payless Shoes
Ashes on my forehead, courtesy of Ash Wednesday Mass

Day 30
Yesterday when I shared this yummy recipe, I wore this as my final outfit:

Skinny jeans, American Eagle
Navy three quarter length shirt, Forever 21
Navy striped cardigan, NY&C
Brown Emu boots, Macy's

What I've learned:
  • Accessories are your friend.  They are often much cheaper than buying new clothes and can elevate a ho-hum outfit into something great!
  • I need a new purse.  I have been using the same purse off and on for over a year now (and the rest of my purses in my rotation are over two years old) and I'm ready for something new--preferably one I can tie some of my vintage scarfs onto for an added pop of color!
  • I really didn't need that many skirts and pants.  There was even one black skirt that never even made it out of my closet.  If and when I do this challenge again, I will include way more tops and cardigans than skirts!
  • Don't do this challenge in February and March in St. Louis.  The weather is just too unpredictable.  For example, the night of our Oscar Watch party it was 60 degrees and we were under a tornado watch.  A few days later, the temperature was back down to the 30s.  When your wardrobe is limited, sudden fluctuations in temperature are not appreciated!
  • I have way more clothes than I thought I did before the challenge!  This really opened my eyes to how many different combinations of clothes you can create with just a few items, let alone a whole closet!
  • I don't need to buy new clothes, just new accessories.  I thought with the shopping ban, I would want to buy lots and lots of new clothes once it was over.  I do want to buy some things, but they mostly consist of accessories and a new purse!
  • Doing this with friends helps a lot!  We could commiserate together when we were feeling uninspired and it was a great motivator knowing other people were counting on you.
  • Now that this challenge is over, it means Ashlee is moving. Today.  I am happy for her and Justin and know they will have a gorgeous new apartment but I will miss them terribly!
  • I need a new camera. Period.
Now, just because I have my wardrobe back doesn't mean I'm not playing along with {av} and her Friday's Fancies.  I have really come to look forward to some guilt free shopping each week where my only limitation for coming up with an outfit is my imagination!





 Here's what I would wear tonight for a much needed date night with J at one of our favorite sushi restaurants:


A gray and yellow cap sleeve top for a little Eastern flair
A pair of charcoal skinny jeans, cuffed at the bottom for some contrast
A pair of yellow high heels for a little color (and height since I'm 5'2")
A black and white newspaper clutch for holding the important things, like my phone, sunglasses and lip gloss
An edgy white jacket, since the weather here is still unpredictable (high of 38 yesterday)
A pair of gray feather-y earrings for some glamour and sophistication

What are your weekend plans, friends?

12 comments:

  1. That's a cute outfit! We're not doing much this weekend. Celebrating a family member's birthday on Sunday and that's about it. I'm excited for the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your date night picks..how do you make a collage like that? So cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! love that top and yellow heels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG YELLOW SHOES! LOVE!

    I need a new purse also... and some new accessories to jazz up boring outfits! <3

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the yellow shoes! You are just too cute! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looking fab fab fabulous!! so fun to see what you put together for your 30 for 30! i'm in th emiddle of mine and i too have discovered that accessories are your bff!! :) happy weekend girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Every Little Thing: Thanks! That sounds like a great weekend--have fun at the party and hope you get some much needed R&R :)

    @ L: I use polyvore (www.polyvore.com), which is free and very addicting! It's a lot of fun and hard to stop once you start--just as a warning!

    @ marissa: Thanks! I think I need some brightly colored heels in my real life too :)

    @ Jenn: If you lived closer, we could go accessories shopping together. That and shopping for the kiddos' wedding!

    @ Ashly: Aww thanks girl! You have a great weekend too :)

    @ Lacey Jo: I want it. Bad.

    @ lindsay: Thanks! Accessories are definitely key and I was happy to see you picked less bottoms (skirts, pants) than me for your 30 for 30 items which will hopefully make things easier for you :) Good luck and I can't wait to see what other combinations you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore the yellow+gray combo, my dear! thank you so so much for joining in Friday's Fancies again--your posts always brighten my Friday! I hope you have as much fun with them as I do ;) big yay for guilt-free shopping! happy weekend, my dear! xoxo {av}

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ {av}: I love creating them so thank YOU for hosting every week--it's the best way to shop especially because I get a heavy dose of buyer's guilt/remorse whenever I shop for real :) Have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE your style! I so love your outfit on day 30. It just looks like your comfortable and ready to go out with some friends. AND it's blue my favorite color to wear. :)
    Also love the yellow date night!
    Glad I found you on FTLOB! Happy Comment Love Day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for finding my blog and taking the time to leave a comment!

I try to respond to everyone's comments either below your comment itself or through email. Please be sure to link your email address to your account so we can chat!