Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Spanish Saturday Night

After a busy week for both of us, J and I unwound with some Spanish tapas and red wine on Saturday night, made easy by Trader Joe's.

For a while now, I had seen a three pack of Italian cut meats (prosciutto, salami and one other I can't recall) and this weekend when I was perusing their aisles, I came across a similar three pack but this time featuring sliced chorizo, serrano jamon and a Spanish salami.  J and I love Spanish cuisine (so much so that I bought him this Spanish cookbook for Christmas) and I thought that this would be just the thing to transport us to Madrid and tide us over until we can get there in person.


I also picked up a large baguette, some Spanish cheese, Two Buck Chuck (not Spanish but still a cheap and tasty wine) and some shrimp to round out the meal.  I also added some kalamata olives I had in our fridge and some of our good olive oil for dipping that we got as a wedding present from this place to round out the meal.


The whole thing probably cost us less than $15.00 bucks (with leftovers which we had for dinner the next night) which is a lot less than we would have spent had we gone out for tapas instead.  We finished off our cheap but relaxing date night by joining some friends at Schlafly for a drink!

Have you had any cheap dates at home recently?  What about at a restaurant thanks to a coupon or gift certificate?  I'd love to hear all about it!

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like so much fun. I am going to suggest this to Mark. We have not had a low key date night in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing and a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cheapo date at home was tongight! well.. every night it seems like a mini date with the hubs but this is fun b/c there were fiesta NACHOS involved with veggies allll over! <3 yum yum yum!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man I miss Trader Joes!! And two buck Chuck!! Sounds like an awesome date to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea. The olive oil and bread is amazing all by itself but the meat and cheese too.. yummmy. Love your blog hun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Ashly: Definitely! Low key date nights are relaxing (and cheap) :)

    @ Jenn: Mmm fiesta nachos, those sound delicious!

    @ Kyria: When we lived in Omaha, we didn't have one either and it was rough. Of course, as soon as we moved they opened one! Here's hoping they open one in your area soon :)

    @ Jacqui: Thanks for stopping by and welcome! I agree, I could eat olive oil and bread all night!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for finding my blog and taking the time to leave a comment!

I try to respond to everyone's comments either below your comment itself or through email. Please be sure to link your email address to your account so we can chat!