Inspired by one of the blogs I follow, Busy Bee Lauren, I've decide to share my top ten moments that have made me cry with joy. Those who know me (and my family) know we cry a lot. A lot a lot. Happy, sad, doesn't matter. We all blame it on my grandpa S, who is the biggest softie of all...but we love him that way!!
1. J's proposal video. J made a touching and personal video for me when he popped the question. We were on the side of the road in his Honda watching it on his laptop, with tears of happiness streaming down both of our faces.
2. Asking my aunt Bridget to sing at my wedding. See, ever since I was little, my aunt had always sang "By My Side" from Godspell to me before going to sleep. At one sister's weekend (with all 4 of my aunts, my mom and grandparents there), I asked Bridget if she would sing the song for me at my wedding. Mind you I was a freshman in college and would not meet the man I will call my husband for another year, but I bawled like a baby and could barely get the words out. God only knows what I will look like when she actually sings that song for us!
3. Singing and playing "Best Day" by Taylor Swift at my parents' twenty-fifth wedding anniversary with my sister. We had a mass in my parents' backyard with family and friends and we surprised them by playing the guitar and singing this song to them. It took me not looking at them at times to make it through the song, but when it was over we all hugged and cried together. Whenever I hear this song on the radio, I still get misty eyed thinking about it--Are you noticing a theme here? I love music and it is often what speaks to me the most!
4. Sarah Prine and Jack Elliott's engagement and marriage in These Is My Words. This is my absolute favorite book and I cannot get enough of this couple! I have read the entire book over fifty times and cannot even count the number of times I've just read bits and pieces of it. Words can hardly describe the impact this novel has had on me. It's that good.
5. When I surprised my sister at her ring night at MSS. You see, our alma mater, Mayfield, has a tradition at Junior Ring Night where a close friend or family member alumna can present the Junior with their class ring (all other students have the Head of School present it). I had flown in earlier that day and been hiding in the sound booth throughout the entire ceremony. When my sister's name was called and they announced that I would be presenting her ring, we both just lost it!
6. Reading political speeches. Okay so if you haven't figured it out already, I am a major political nerd. As such, there is something about well written and heartfelt speeches, like President Obama's speech at the DNC convention in 2004 or Martin Luther King Jr's Letter from Birmingham Jail, that make me just melt into a puddle!
7. My grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. I am extremely blessed that both my dad's and mom's parents have made it to fifty (plus!) years of marriage and that I have been present as they renewed their vows. Seeing them vow all over again to love each other in good times and bad, in sickness and in health, as long as they both shall live is truly amazing and such an inspiration to J and me!
8. When Barack Obama was elected president. J and I always watch election results together, but last year because I was in CA while he was at school, it meant we had to share in them virtually instead of in person. (Again my political nerd-ness is showing!) We watched all of the coverage together courtesy of Skype. The momentousness (yes it's a word, I looked it up) of that moment and what it meant for our country, just made me cry, cry, cry!
9. Whenever I am able to share with my family and friends how much they mean to me. Whether it's a necklace I got for my sister based on this poem by e.e. cumings or letters written on retreats or for birthdays over the years, I am a big ole sap when it comes to sharing how I feel with others (and reading what others have written for me)!
10. Marrying J. Okay, this hasn't happened yet but in 33 days, J and I will be married! We are so excited and so looking forward to this day and our life together. Many, many happy tears will be shed by the both of us!!!
What about you? I'd love to hear what things have made you weep for joy!!