Friday, February 4, 2011

Sam's Club Salad

On Wednesday night after work J and I ventured out to Sam's Club.  As I've blogged about before, J and I like to buy dry goods there in bulk (pasta, rice and so forth) because we go through it on a fairly regular basis and have found they are cheaper than the grocery store since we are buying in bulk.

This time we decided to pick up a few more things, some of which I made into a salad for lunch yesterday.  They included:
  • 8 heads of artisan lettuce: Great for lunches or side dishes for dinners, we will use this all up in the next week or so.  $3.98 for 30 ounces
  • 1 pound of prosciutto: we love having a bacon product around to add to salads, pastas, sandwiches, risotto and eggs.   Prosciutto is a great option for us because it lasts longer in our fridge than regular bacon and requires no extra cooking!  $11.95 for 1 pound
  • (12) 14 ounce cans of low sodium chicken stock: we use bouillon cubes often but it will be nice when we are making soups and risotto to have another alternative. $7.88 for 12 cans
  • (3) DiGiornio supreme pizzas: for those quick meals when we have nothing to cook!  $11.98 for 3 pizzas
  • Elbow macaroni: the last few times we've bought pasta at Sam's, we have bought penne pasta.  This time we decided to mix it up a bit! $4.98 for 6 pounds
Contents of my salad:


Homemade oil and vinegar dressing, a head of artisan lettuce, sliced onion, 2 slices of prosciutto, 10 black olives (also from Sam's Club) and one wedge of blue cheese laughing cow.  

Not bad for a weekday lunch, right?  Do you shop at Sam's Club or Cosco?  What is your favorite thing to buy there?


On the docket for later today: some easy upgrades I've made around here, including one just in time for Valentine's Day, and the recipe for my raspberry-oat muffins!

3 comments:

  1. We have a Sam's account through Matt's work but I don't really enjoy shopping there. It's just...too much. And I hate that it's a Wal-Mart company.

    That said, I've been meaning to go there to see what kind of bulk organic foods they might have. I have heard I can get bulk organic spinach, which would be nice, and some organic peppers and quinoa. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ L: Thanks! Happy Friday :)

    @ Every Little Thing: I would much rather shop at Cosco (my parents have a membership and they have a greater selection, more organic options and because of the whole Walmart thing) but alas the Sam's Club membership was a gift from J's parents so for now that's where we shop once a month or so. I am happy that Walmart and by extension Sam's Club are offering a few more organic items. Hopefully they continue to offer more and more!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for finding my blog and taking the time to leave a comment!

I try to respond to everyone's comments either below your comment itself or through email. Please be sure to link your email address to your account so we can chat!