Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thai Shrimp Bisque

On Monday night, J and I made Thai Shrimp Bisque for dinner.  It was warm, hearty and delicious--perfect for the night before the big storm!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds of medium shrimp--I used cooked, tail-on shrimp because it was half the price of frozen shrimp
1 1/2 tablespoons grated lime rind, about 2 limes
1/3 cup lime juice, about 2 limes
1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger--I freeze ginger root when I'm not using it, which makes it easier to grate and makes it last longer
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 garlic cloves, crushed--I used jarred garlic


For the Shrimp Stock:
2 cups water
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons lobster stock base--we use Better than Bouillon


For the Soup:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped celery
1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1 tablespoon grated lime rind
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt


Kitchen Supplies:
Zester
Stock pot
Dutch oven
Can opener
3 cup measuring cup
Whisk


Combine shrimp and next 8 ingredients in a large ziplock bag, seal and marinate in refrigerator for thirty minutes.  Combine stock base, water, wine, and 1 tablespoon tomato paste in a large Dutch oven.  Bring mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes until liquid is reduced to approximately 1 cup.

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add onion and celery, and saute for eight minutes or until browned.  Add 1 cup shrimp stock, coconut milk, and remaining tomato paste.  Bring mixture to a boil.  Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup and level with a knife.  Combine the flour and milk in a 3 cup measuring cup, stirring with a whisk.  Add to pan, reduce heat, and simmer until thick, about five minutes.  Add shrimp and marinade, and cook an additional five minutes.  Stir in 1 tablespoon lime rind, 1 tablespoon cilantro and salt.

Serves: 6
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
Calories: 201

Enjoy!


Today I am bringing this soup to Miz Helen's Full Plate Thursday...can't wait to see what everyone else is bringing!

7 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I should maybe whip this one with with some stir fry. Thanks for sharing, and happy Thirsty Thursday!
    http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have to buy a stockpile of ingredients to make this and i'm pretty tempted -- I love a good seafood bisque and this looks simply amazing!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh! So many recipes for me to try. I love them all! Thanks :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi KT,
    Oh my goodness...your Thai Shrimp Bisque looks just delicious I can't wait to try it. Thank you so much for bringing it for us to enjoy today at Full Plate Thursday. You have a great week end and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. KT, this looks like something that I'll be making in the very near future. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ TexaGermaNadian: Happy thirsty Thursday to you too! I am definitely ready for it to be Friday :)

    @ Jennifer: Be sure to let me know if you try it! The original recipe called for you to make your own stock with shrimp peels, so that's would be one less ingredient!

    @ Ashly: It was pretty tasty! Sounds like you are doing great with your meal plan--knew you could do it :)

    @ Miz Helen: Thanks again for inviting me. I got some great ideas for my menu for next week and will definitely be back!

    @ Beverly: Thanks for stopping by! I absolutely love your mules :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations you are featured on Full Plate Thursday this week 2-10-11. You can stop by and pick up your Red Plate.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for finding my blog and taking the time to leave a comment!

I try to respond to everyone's comments either below your comment itself or through email. Please be sure to link your email address to your account so we can chat!