Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween Recap

Halloween this year was a bit different in the Pieces household (that's our friends' nickname for J.  I am by default Mrs. Pieces).

For the last several years, J and I have picked out our own pumpkins at a pumpkin patch, carved them and then eaten Sloppy Joes for dinner before passing out Halloween candy to our trick-or-treaters.  More about the Sloppy Joes tradition and a recipe to follow! We even managed to carry out this tradition the year I was in California and J was here in St. Louis by carving pumpkins over J's Fall Break in mid October.  Here are some of the pumpkins J and I have carved over the years.

J's pumpkin the year the Cardinals won the World Series


My fairy tale pumpkin--I always pick unusual pumpkins to carve

Our pumpkins last year, including one for Woods
Woods' first Halloween
This year, we did not carve pumpkins.  Instead, we were at the wedding of two of our close friends in Chicago.  It was a beautiful wedding and the reception was an absolute blast, so it was well worth compromising our tradition to witness and celebrate with our friends!

That doesn't mean I didn't dress up for Halloween, however.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was Violet Beauregarde from Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  Here is a picture to refresh your memory.


While I didn't paint my face blue, I did have a blue suit, red (and white) belt and had begun to turn into a blueberry, hence the really wide hips, just like Violet.  The blueberry part was achieved by wrapping a large bath towel around my hips and using the elastic bottom of my tunic top to hold it in place.

The best part of this costume, however, was that I had all of these items in my closet!  Got to love work-with-what-you-got costumes!

J and I spent Halloween night re-watching Final Destination with a big bowl of popcorn and recovering from our busy weekend. I am making Sloppy Joes tonight to continue our Halloween celebration.  It wasn't our yearly tradition, but it wasn't bad! 

How was your Halloween everyone?  Got any images of your pumpkins from either this year or years past on your Flickr account or blog?  Let's share pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for finding my blog and taking the time to leave a comment!

I try to respond to everyone's comments either below your comment itself or through email. Please be sure to link your email address to your account so we can chat!