Monday, December 13, 2010

Winter Weekend Recap

Image borrowed from here and here originally
On Friday I traveled to Peoria to spend some time with my aunt and grandparents for my birthday.  On our itinerary was a fish fry dinner Friday night, a birthday dinner Saturday night (with French Onion Soup and Caesar salad--recipes and pictures to follow) and Grandma's Oyster Stew luncheon (recipe and photos also to follow) on Sunday.  The first two events went off without a hitch, until ice and snow struck the Midwest Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Aunts and cousins who were supposed to travel from St. Louis, Chicago and Peoria could not make it due to poor weather conditions.  The luncheon, which occurs every year in December, was effectively canceled with only a few neighbors who lived in walking distance stopping by later in the day.

I almost didn't make it out of Peoria myself and seriously contemplated staying the night and driving back early this morning.  In retrospect, I probably should have stayed put.  But I did drive home and after a tense five hours (it normally takes just under three), made it back to J safe and sound.  Having grown up in southern California, I am an extremely cautious driver when there is ice and snow on the ground.  It was white-knuckle the whole way home and the highways were filled with cars that had spun out and been left until conditions improved.  I did a lot of praying and was so thankful to have made it home safely, especially because it was my birthday!

No matter, I still got to eat oyster stew, had a wonderful birthday dinner with my grandparents and aunt on Saturday night, and capped off the night at one of our favorite pizza places Dewey's with some friends (who we actually celebrated my birthday with last year too)!  The drive was nothing a cold glass of beer and some warm pizza could fix.

So while my birthday weekend did not go exactly as planned, it was definitely one I'll remember for years to come!

How was your weekend, friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for finding my blog and taking the time to leave a comment!

I try to respond to everyone's comments either below your comment itself or through email. Please be sure to link your email address to your account so we can chat!