Friday, October 29, 2010

La Guitarra or New Strings

As some of you may have noticed, a few of my 130 before I'm Thirty goals have to do with playing the guitar.  I began playing my freshman year of high school after I became obsessed with the Dixie Chicks.  I took lessons throughout high school and played off and on in college. Since then my guitar has sat in its case, unplayed and unloved.  Until recently.

My guitar, covered in stickers from high school including 2 Dixie Chicks ones

Much to my chagrin, I did not know how to restring it.  This was one of the major roadblocks to me starting to play again.  My guitar teacher always did this for me.  I think at the time he thought he was doing me a favor but in retrospect, he really was doing me a disservice because I didn't know how to do it myself.  At least until a week ago.

I went to a local music shop, armed with new strings and a determination to figure this out.  When I opened the case, much to my and the store employee's surprise, the strings my friend had helped me put on two years ago were still good.  The employee helped me unwind two of the strings and then restring them.  Now I not only know how to restring my guitar, I have extra strings ready and waiting when the time comes.


Since then I have been playing up a storm.  I remember a lot more than I thought I would and I have the start of calluses on my fingers again.  It's great to be back!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for finding my blog and taking the time to leave a comment!

I try to respond to everyone's comments either below your comment itself or through email. Please be sure to link your email address to your account so we can chat!