Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Fall Soup

Last night I made Roasted and Curried Butternut Squash soup for dinner.  It makes eight cups--plenty for J and I to have for lunch as leftovers over the next few days.  As a bonus, I got to use our new food processor which we got for our wedding but had yet to use!  It is a beut:


The blades and discs come in their own little box that latches closed and has a drawer that stores the discs. The bowls fit inside each other so you can use the food processor several times during a recipe and not have to wash out the bowl between uses.  It pureed our butternut squash soup with ease. The lid snaps on securely and it all is very easy to clean.  Basically, it is amazing.


Anyway, I wanted to share the recipe with you because it is delicious, easy and low fat!

Roasted and Curried Butternut Squash Soup, borrowed from Allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
1 butternut squash, halved
2 large yellow or white onions, peeled and quartered
1 head of garlic, with the top cut off
6 cups vegetable or chicken stock--I used chicken because it was what we had on hand
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon mild curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup plain yogurt--we used fat free
salt and pepper to taste


Kitchen Supplies:
Food processor or blender--if you use a blender, you will have to puree the mixture in batches 
Sheet pan
Foil
Large stock pot

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place halves of butternut squash and quarters of onions on sheet pan covered in foil.  Wrap head of garlic in foil and add to sheet pan.  Roast in oven for 45-60 minutes until squash is tender (in my oven it took the full 60 minutes).  Remove from oven and let cool.  Squeeze garlic paste out of each clove and add to food processor or blender.   Add onions and flesh of the butternut squash to processor.  Pour in 1 cup of stock and puree until smooth.  Pour mixture and remaining stock into a large stock pot.  Add brown sugar, bay leaf, cinnamon, curry, oregano and nutmeg.  Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for ten minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in yogurt.  Remove bay leaf and serve.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! I just wanted to pop over since you left that nice comment on my blog :) I love your 130 list! If you ever start an online book club definitely let me know! Oh, and definitely try out the ballroom lessons (I've done ballroom for years - it's super fun!). Good luck!!

    And now I realize I've used 6 exclamation points in one comment ... I swear I know how to end a sentence with a period! ... or maybe not ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for finding my blog and taking the time to leave a comment!

I try to respond to everyone's comments either below your comment itself or through email. Please be sure to link your email address to your account so we can chat!