Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Bedroom Redesign Post #4: Picassa Mi Casa


Forgive the bad pun, but I am back after a brief hiatus (not from blogging, just from posts of the bedroom redesign) to reveal how we repainted several pieces of furniture to better compliment the bedding and bedside table already in the room.

As many of you know, I decided to makeover our bedroom as a surprise for J when he returned from Omaha this summer after being away for 8 weeks. I've already mentioned that I scored this beauty of a dresser for twenty-five dollars at one of my favorite thrift store haunts, Value Village.

And you've most likely seen spoilers of the finished product here, here and here to name a few. Well, here she is in all of her glory!

&


Here's how I did it. J and I are fortunate to have an unfinished basement (and neighbors willing to put up with my many projects) to use for painting, which definitely came in handy since the humid weather in St. Louis in July is less than ideal for painting. I removed and spray painted the handles yellow, to add a little punch to the drawers. Next, I painted the drawers a slightly darker color in semi-gloss paint. I painted the base of the dresser a complimentary color in a satin finish, to add even more contrast between the two.

After letting it dry for several days, I (with Ashlee's help!) moved the piece back into the bedroom. As Woods has taken to laying out on the dresser, I picked up two place mats to protect the top of it from rambunctious kitties. It has also served as a new game for Woods--run at top speed into the room, leap onto the dresser and watch the mats fly!

Because we have little closet space, I knew I needed to incorporate our other dresser into the new room as well. With some leftover white paint from our telephone table, and the other two colors from the new dresser, Ashlee and I taped off a fun graphic pattern and got to painting. We were really pleased with the end result:

We weren't finished though. We also painted our other nightstand to match, again with a bright graphic pattern.


And that's how, after several marathon painting sessions, we were finally put down the paint brush! We were very happy with the end results. What do you think, friends? Have you taken on any new painting projects? Do you have any tips for anyone else wanting to paint furniture?

P.S. Want to read about the bedroom makeover from the beginning? Here are parts one, two and three. Next up, I share why J and I were chopping and cooking for 3+ hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for finding my blog and taking the time to leave a comment!

I try to respond to everyone's comments either below your comment itself or through email. Please be sure to link your email address to your account so we can chat!