Tuesday, September 21, 2010

New Books, or My To-Read List

Yesterday I went to the local library and checked out four new books. After I devoured The Time Traveler's Wife this weekend, I realized I should really make more of an effort to read books. With J's busy law school schedule kicking into high gear, it will be a welcome distraction as I get lost in other worlds. Three of the four novels I selected are very different from each other, but I suppose that is why I chose them. Once I finish a novel, I usually like to follow it up with something completely different. Here is what I chose (and a little tidbit about why):

O, Juliet by Robin Maxwell--a twist on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, this novel appealed to me because it reminded me of other modern interpretations of classic works from my childhood that I've loved, like The Wind Done Gone and March, reimaginings of Gone with the Wind and Little Women respectively.

All Souls' Rising by Madison Smartt Bell--an epic novel about the Haitian revolution, I chose this novel because many websites I read said it is the definitive historical novel about Haiti. I have wanted to learn more about the Western Hemisphere's second democracy and first black republic to declare independence and figured this might be a good place to start. I would be remiss not to say I am very much looking forward to reading Isabel Allende's Island Beneath the Sea! Sadly my library does not yet have a copy.

Mercy by Jodi Picoult--I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I am a Jodi Picoult fiend. I read, no devour, her books. Once I start them I cannot put them down, often times swatting away tears as I read. I have not read some of her earlier works, like Mercy, which is what drew me to this novel. I have a feeling she will not let me down.

Between Friends by Kristy Kiernan--a compelling novel about surrogacy and secrets between friends, it looks both timely and interesting. A Jodi Picoult-esque novel to read in the likely event that Mercy leaves me hungry for more.

I have them on loan for three weeks and would really like to read them all before then. I plan on updating this blog as I finish each one with a slightly more extensive review on the books and what I thought of them.
Woods inspects my new reading list.

Four novels, three weeks. Think I can do it friends? Which book would you start with? Any here that you've read or think I should read based on this list? Do share!

Also, I want to wish a very happy birthday to my baby brother. He is sixteen years old today and probably out terrorizing the roads right now--just kidding buddy!

My brothers and Dad in our pool circa 1996/7.

I love you and wish I could be there to celebrate with you!!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe how little Alec looks there...so cute!!! Of course I'm a little prejudice, being Alec's mom! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for finding my blog and taking the time to leave a comment!

I try to respond to everyone's comments either below your comment itself or through email. Please be sure to link your email address to your account so we can chat!