Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Remember When Wednesday: Hilltop Sing

I'm back with the second installment of Remember When Wednesdays.  In honor of the first day of December, with Christmas just around the corner, I thought I would take you down memory lane to...

The Mandalay Hilltop Sing



Remember When:

We would get bundled up and ride in Grandpa's wagon.
We would eat lots and lots of goodies at all the neighbors' houses.
The dogs would follow us from house to house.
We would sing Christmas carols acapella.  Some sounded better than others.
The Hill was all woods with a few houses scattered in between.
Our eyes would get big hearing how many years The Sing had been going on.
We would warm up with warm hot chocolate and apple cider.


I remember.  Those were the days.


A little background for those who don't remember:  My grandparents lived in at the end of a cul-de-sac with three neighbors (and friends) nearby.  Many years ago,  around Christmas time they began a progressive dinner, complete with Christmas caroling.  Thus the Mandalay Hilltop Sing was born.  My mom and her siblings grew up traveling from house to house singing carols and eating lots of delicious food.  This tradition continued when my cousins and I were young.  It was one of my favorite festivities come December!

Now it's your turn.  What are some of your family holiday traditions?  Anyone else out there have a progressive dinner or go caroling like us?   Share below or if, like me, you've written about your traditions recently, leave a link!  Thanks for sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for finding my blog and taking the time to leave a comment!

I try to respond to everyone's comments either below your comment itself or through email. Please be sure to link your email address to your account so we can chat!